M

any partners have come together to help coordinate the project, and to secure funding, land and other resources in an effort to construct the new levee. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is constructing the new Hamilton City Levee as part of the Hamilton City Flood Damage Reduction and Ecosystem Restoration Project. The USACE is funding 65% of the construction costs. RD 2140 secured its remaining 35% share of construction costs through a grant from the State of California, land donations from The Nature Conservancy, and through materials donated by Glenn-Colusa Irrigation District.

Once fully constructed, the new Hamilton City Levee will provide enhanced flood protection within the RD 2140 boundaries. With the new levee in place, Hamilton City proper will have a 90% confidence of passing a 75-year flood event.  The property and lands immediately south of Hamilton City will have a 90% confidence of passing a 35-year flood event. Property and lands located near County Road 23 will be protected by a training dike, which will provide a 90% confidence of passing an 11-year flood event.

In Fall 2016, the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers completed the majority of the first phase of levee construction, which extends from the southern end of Dunning Slough for about three miles. Completing the setback levee downstream of Hamilton City will allow for the next phase of levee construction to start at the Highway 32 Bridge and extend north about two miles.

Financial resources for Phase 2A have been allocated. The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers is scheduled to award the construction contract in Fall 2017.

Timeline

The project will be completed in two phases:

Phase I

  • Levee Construction (2016-2017)

    Construction began in Spring 2016 on the portion of the new levee that extends from the southern side of Dunning Slough progressing south three miles. Construction will be completed in Spring 2017.

  • Habitat Restoration (2017-2021)

    Restoration/re-vegetation of areas associated with Phase I levee construction is anticipated to begin in 2017.

Phase II

  • Levee Construction (2017-2020)

    This phase will involve levee construction that begins two miles north of Hamilton City and connects to the Phase I levee at Dunning Slough. The project has been authorized by Congress and is currently receiving annual federal appropriations.

  • Habitat Restoration (2018-2023)

    Restoration/re-vegetation of areas associated with Phase II construction. All restoration/re-vegetation is subject to a three-year establishment period, once completed.