The Hamilton City Flood Risk Reduction & Ecosystem Restoration Project

Protecting Our Homes, Our Farms, Our Future

Join us as we commemorate the completed 6.8 mile portion of the new The Hamilton City Set-Back Levee!

Hamilton City Set-Back Levee Dedication Ceremony
Saturday, December 11th at 2 p.m.
Irvine Finch Boat Launch

Leading event agencies include:
• Reclamation District 2140 
• The Nature Conservancy 
• United States Army Corps of Engineers

Hamilton City Levee Background

Hamilton City’s original levee, commonly referred to as the J Levee, has been a vital part of the community landscape since the early 1900s. The J levee was originally not built to any formal engineering standards and did not meet U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) or any other levee construction standards. The previous levee was extremely susceptible to seepage and erosion and was at risk of failure. A new levee was deemed necessary to protect those who own property, crop land and who live in and around Hamilton City. 

Many partners came together to help coordinate the project, and to secure funding, land and other resources in an effort to construct the new levee. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) constructed the new Hamilton City Set-Back Levee as part of the Hamilton City Flood Damage Reduction and Ecosystem Restoration Project. The USACE funded 65% of the construction costs. RD 2140 secured its remaining 35% share of construction costs through a grant from the State of California, land donations from The Nature Conservancy, and through materials donated by Glenn-Colusa Irrigation District.

The new Hamilton City Set-Back Levee will provide enhanced flood protection within the RD 2140 boundaries and significantly reduce the risk of damage to property, buildings and crops. With the new levee in place, Hamilton City property will have a 90% confidence of passing a 75-year flood event.  The property and lands immediately south of Hamilton City will have a 90% confidence of passing a 35-year flood event. Property and lands located near County Road 23 will be protected by a training dike, which will provide a 90% confidence of passing an 11-year flood event.

Questions?

 Send us a message or call LeeAnn Grigsby-Puente, RD2140 Trustee at (530) 321-1525.

© Copyright 2021 Reclamation District 2140. All Rights Reserved.